priPrinter: Booklet A4/5/6 Confusion - priPrinter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Booklet A4/5/6 Confusion I'd like to know how to print 4 pages on one side of a paper

#1 User is offline   Hsdkjweficdsf 

• Pip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi

I just downloaded priPrinter (just remembered it besides the other unnamed product).
The goal is to print a LEGO instruction manual in a small form.
This one has 60 pages:
http://cache.lego.co...ons/4625325.pdf

I wanted to print 4 pages on one side of a A4 paper and with duplex print to a total of 8 per paper.
The whole thing as a booklet.

First:
I have the impression (I may be totally wrong as newbs are often), that the theme/layout files are wrong named:
If I select C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\priPrinter Files\Themes\A6BOOKLET.xml The graphics show me 2 pages per paper.
I thought half of A4 is A5 and half of A5 is A6. So for "A6BOOKLET" there should be 4 pages per paper side. No? Should not the filename be "A5Booklet" for "Booklet / 2" ?

Second:
I was unable to arrange a booklet with 8 pages per duplex printed A4 paper. The pages were in the wrong order.
Can you show me the settings needed to print this lego manual as booklet?

Third:
You poor souls at priPrinter suffer intense "UAC" health problems. My condolence ;-) I know it is PITA but ...
If I print something as User and change/save layouts then these layouts should be stored under the current "printing" user and not under the Id the PriPrinter Process currently runs (administrator).

Thanks for any response
The Newb

#2 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hi

View PostHsdkjweficdsf, on 05 July 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

First:
I have the impression (I may be totally wrong as newbs are often), that the theme/layout files are wrong named:
If I select C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\priPrinter Files\Themes\A6BOOKLET.xml The graphics show me 2 pages per paper.
I thought half of A4 is A5 and half of A5 is A6. So for "A6BOOKLET" there should be 4 pages per paper side. No? Should not the filename be "A5Booklet" for "Booklet / 2" ?

This is cut-up booklet. Not sure that this name is correct, but at least it was clear that booklet should be cut after printing. See Cut-Up section in the following page: http://www.priprinter.com/booklets.htm.
After selecting Booklet/2 theme you should see 4 pages per paper side. After printing, you should fold papers and cut. Line of cut may be printed.
Next you should insert one part into another and you will have A6 booklet. Fold A4 -> A5. Cut A5 -> A6. I hope I'm right.
However with rectangular pages of this manual, Booklet/3 theme may be better.

If you don't want to cut paper and just want to print regular booklet = select regular booklet theme or switch Cut-Up booklet mode off in booklet tab. Next select two pages in Page Layout tab. This will print two pages per one side of booklet, four per paper side, 8 per paper sheet.
Just tried and it looks quite OK and I think, this is better than cut-up booklet for your purposes. Easier to use as instruction for assembling LEGO. (I know, my kids have a lot of instructions and LEGO :)/>/> )

I hope this answers your second question. If not, I'll try to explain again.

View PostHsdkjweficdsf, on 05 July 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

You poor souls at priPrinter suffer intense "UAC" health problems. My condolence ;-) I know it is PITA but ...
If I print something as User and change/save layouts then these layouts should be stored under the current "printing" user and not under the Id the PriPrinter Process currently runs (administrator).

No no, It should be started from current user, not from administrator. Again, I've just checked. Have you disabled priPrinter tray icon?
Thanks,
Alex

#3 User is offline   Hsdkjweficdsf 

• Pip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi

I dont get it.
It shows me on the first paper side two pages ont the left. See picture.
The second page is not on the backside of the title page, but below right on the front paper on the left.
And on the backside of the title is page three (see picture 2).
Hmm..
Does the preview not calculate the duplex printing?

#4 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

The second page is not on the backside of the title page, but below right on the front paper on the left.

You selected two source pages per booklet page, so you have two pages. First is on top, second is below. Same with 3th and 4th.
BTW, In case of one page per booklet page, first will be on title page, second on another side.
OK, Back to two pages mode. If you want to have only the title on the first page, and rest ones in 2 pages mode you may want to:
Insert empty page after title - this will shift second page to the back side or:
Right click on title and in menu select "Zoom to Paper" - title will be enlarged and second page will be on the back side.

Does the preview not calculate the duplex printing?

It does calculate. In 3D it shows how your booklet will look like.

Attached is my test file, you may try it in order to understand how pages are arranged. Leave only 8 pages and try to print only one paper - just to check that duplex is configured properly. Also it's safe to test - it does not eats many inks.

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   Hsdkjweficdsf 

• Pip

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

hmm...
If I select "single page" then you are correct, the booklet is ok regarding page front side/back side.
BUT, It displays that it has 60 pages on the status bar! That is what I want to prevent!

If I select Layout==>Booklet/2 status bar shows "Page x/32" ==> 32 Pages . not what I want
If I select Layout==>Booklet/3 status bar shows "Page x/20" ==> 20 Pages . not what I want
I want 60 original pages divided by 4 means 15 pages ==> 8 double sided papers needed.
How do I achieve this?

#6 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostHsdkjweficdsf, on 06 July 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

BUT, It displays that it has 60 pages on the status bar! That is what I want to prevent!

That's quantity of source pages, number of sheets is visible Print dialog.
Go to File, Print. Don't worry, it will not print right after that.
It will show 15 for one page per booklet page, or 8 for 2 per page.

Or number of sheets is visible in the hint. See attached image
Attached File  shot.jpg (43.47K)
Number of downloads: 6

#7 User is offline   Hsdkjweficdsf 

• Pip

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hi

Thanks for your patience with me.
Here my feedback, which should be understood as help not critics.
+ I can print this lego manual as I wish .
- I still feel uncomfortable with it.
- My Wife or ungeeky computer freaks would never be able to print a booklet with this.
- It is not possible via GUI to influence page layout. So I can forget about that pocket sized small booklet with 16 pages per A4 paper.

Feature request: Please display something like "Page 7 of 60 on sheet 1" in the status bar. It makes not much sense to me that this number in the status bar changes sometimes but sometimes not. Because the number of source pages is equal for every layout. For this manual 60 source pages. The number does not show "source pages" as you say, it shows "booklet pages".

Feature request: Please group the page layout functions in the menu (Page layout tab). Also make the layout functions which influence booklet available in the "booklet" menu bar tab.

Feature request: Make a distinction between "page" and "paper/sheet". Use this word for example in the Tooltip and/or status bar.

Thank you again,
to your defense, the fine printing product has way less features and could only do A5.

#8 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'll check what we can do, at least active paper sheet can be displayed in status bar.
Also I may suggest to print Cut-Up booklet with 3 pages per regular booklet page. 3*4 = 12 source pages per sheet.
It will require 5 sheets of paper and size of images will be not that small.

See my screenshot, red lines shows how you will need to cut papers.
Attached File  shot2.jpg (53.85K)
Number of downloads: 7

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users