• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very funny duplex print problem

#1 User is offline   Mario 

• Pip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hello everyone.
I printed tons of papers today trying to figure out why the following issue was happening :

-I have 4 pages to print
-My printer is HP p1606dn which supports duplex printing
-priprinter version 6

Problem :

When i duplex print 4 pages i expect 2 papers (sheets) to come out of printer, first with pages 1 and 2 and second with 3 and 4. But following happens :
-1. paper comes out, it contains only 2. page
-2. paper comes out, it contains only 4. page

I repeated the test with 6 pages, (expect 3 sheets) and following happened :
-1. paper comes out, it contains 2. page
-2. paper comes out, it contains pages 3 and 4 (this is all right)
-3. paper comes out, it contains 6. page

Detailed process :
4 pages are 4 .jpg image files in same folder. I select images in windows explorer, right-click the first one (which i want to be the first page) and select print. Windows printing dialogue shows, i select priprint as printer, and click print. Everything is fine so far. Priprint runs, and 4 pages are displayed correctly.
Then i adjust contrast to 100 and brightness to 22. Select page number to be added, and select duplex printing.
When i click print second window shows, i click print there and pages are printed as explained above.

I tinkered with all possible settings in printer properties > duplex, also when i ran setup wizard everything printed correctly. In this process i printed many papers.
In the end i set both brightness and contrast to 100 and bingo ! Everything printed ok.
Than i just changed brightness back to 22 and problem happened again.
Than i set brightness to 70 and again everything printed ok
Than i set back to 22 and problem again.

I cant belive that the problem is caused just by brightness slider, i just dont know what to think about this.
Perhaps it is related to something completely different.

What could it be ?

Best regards !

#2 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHungary

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thank you for your mail.

All this is very strange - you are right. Duplex mode is activated before and independently from brightness/contrast.

Brightness/contrast and ink saving switch priPrinter to special raster mode. However when you set brightness and contrast to 100 it is still in that mode, so I don't know how it can help.

Or problem is different - due to your description, everything is correct, and duplex works as it should, "only" some sides are blank. So probably problem is in these sides. Are they too heavy for printer?

If yes, then setting brightness and contrast to 100 may explain this problem. With such numbers, your pictures should be almost white, and priPrinter may be able to split big images into small independent parts and print them separately.

Can you please try few tests for me?

- please try to reset brightness and contrast to 0, disable ink saving mode and try to print two pages? No pictures please, just some very simple text from Word or notepad : TEXT1 and TEXT2 or something similar. In duplex mode, it should produce one sheet of paper. Both sides should be printed.

If it will work, try next test:

- print same document, but set brightness or contrast to any non zero values.

If it will work, try next test:
- print single image from your test (first image), in simplex mode. First image - image for the first page, which was failed to print in your test. Set brightness and contrast to non zero values, but close to zero.
Will it print this image or not?

Thank you!

#3 User is offline   Mario 

• Pip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I repeated the same picture printing test today (hoped it could just be that yesterday was a bad day :P/>) but problem remained.

Also, i forgot to mention that i enabled Grayscale effect (since my printer is black and white only). The 6 images i tried to print are on this link:
http://s000.tinyuplo...590878962429655

You mentioned they could be "heavy". I noticed that when i clicked the print button in second window, it takes a couple of seconds to save (save progress bar appears on bottom of preview window) before the printer accualy prints.

When brightness and contrast are set both to 100 the image indeed is almost white, and this saving process is done in less then a second ! Everything is printed fine. But as you can see images are very similar, and i dont think some are particularly heavier than the others. I feel like just the first and the last papers in the printing sequence are problematic. Even in the second preview window everything is displayed fine (each image is labeled with F and B letters correctly). When looking at the program itself, everything is perfect. It is when the first paper comes out of the printer that the problem is obvious.

By the way, what does the "heavy-ness" of images have to do with anything ? Even if image was entirely black it is supposed to work ?

I ran the tests you mentioned :

I printed 2 pages of text and it worked perfectly ! I forgot to mention that even earlier i printed many pages of text and never had any problems in any mode (simplex, duplex, booklet..)

The test with changed brightness and contrast was also a success

Single image was also printed sucessfully.

You can try printing images yourself if you have a duplex printer.

Best regards !

#4 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHungary

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

OK, thank you. We will try to dig in this area.

Heavy - probably a wrong word. Big is probably better. I know about possible problems with images, larger than 1000x1000 pixels or something like that - may be related to memory issues. However we never had such problem during print. So, we have to check that again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users