Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About storing priPrinter projects...

#1 User is offline   M__R 

• Pip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

Some time ago I had the idea, instead of creating a PDF-File out out a priPrinter-file and storing that on my computer, I would better store a priPrinter file instead:
So I could easily add interesting pages to this priPrinter-file in a more direct (and quality-preserving) way. (Instead of printing the PDF-File, adding the appropriate pages (i.e. printing them too) and storing all again inside a PDF-File).

Now I'm not so sure, because I got some strange errors after having tried to read former priPrinter-files, e.g. jpeg->Import failed, imgPos=...
Is (or was it) this a bug inside an (older) version of priPrinter?
Or am I wrong in the assumption, that all files (e.g. embededded images) concerning a priPrinter project are stored inside the project-file, i.e. it does not contain any necessary links to external-files? If yes, I would really like to have an option, which would make priPrinter to store these files inside it's project-file. Else it's obvious, that this error will occur, if the external file (whereever it is stored) is gone.

In this context it would be nice, too, if some small changes/extentions would be implemented:
- After loading a project and making some changes, priPrinter would ask if it really should be exited without saving the project. (Perhaps an option: 'Ask before exiting' would be nice too)
- After loading a project and making some changes, when the user chooses 'Save as...' the default-directory would be the same as the directory of the loaded .priPrinter-file (or better the former loaded file would be the default-file). Currently 'Save as' opens a file-dialog within the directory 'My documents'.
- After having created a new priPrinter document and loading a project p, when the user chooses 'Save' (or of course 'Save as...') the default-directory would be the same as the directory of the loaded .priPrinter-file (or perhaps the last former loaded file would be the default-file). Currently 'Save' opens a file-dialog within the directory 'My documents'.

Thanks a lot,
M__R

#2 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostM__R, on 26 May 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

Now I'm not so sure, because I got some strange errors after having tried to read former priPrinter-files, e.g. jpeg->Import failed, imgPos=...
Is (or was it) this a bug inside an (older) version of priPrinter?
Or am I wrong in the assumption, that all files (e.g. embededded images) concerning a priPrinter project are stored inside the project-file, i.e. it does not contain any necessary links to external-files? If yes, I would really like to have an option, which would make priPrinter to store these files inside it's project-file. Else it's obvious, that this error will occur, if the external file (whereever it is stored) is gone.

Please send one of these files. We will check what is wrong.
All images are embedded into priprinter file, so I can't see any problem here. BTW, Only watermarks may refer to external files.
Also, you should make an attention to fonts, since by default priPrinter does not embed all of them. There is an option. Control Panel -> Printers -> priPrinter -> Preferences -> Advanced tab.

In this context it would be nice, too, if some small changes/extentions would be implemented:
- After loading a project and making some changes, priPrinter would ask if it really should be exited without saving the project. (Perhaps an option: 'Ask before exiting' would be nice too)

There is a combobox inside of priPrinter options, Advanced tab. In the bottom of the tab please locate: Save Warning. You can configure it in the way you want.

- After loading a project and making some changes, when the user chooses 'Save as...' the default-directory would be the same as the directory of the loaded .priPrinter-file (or better the former loaded file would be the default-file). Currently 'Save as' opens a file-dialog within the directory 'My documents'.
- After having created a new priPrinter document and loading a project p, when the user chooses 'Save' (or of course 'Save as...') the default-directory would be the same as the directory of the loaded .priPrinter-file (or perhaps the last former loaded file would be the default-file). Currently 'Save' opens a file-dialog within the directory 'My documents'.

Problem here that almost all documents are in priPrinter archive folder and only few persons may want to Save As into archive folder again...
It's possible to write a script in priPrinter Professional which will save file in any predefined folder with just one click on. It's possible to use scripting in PRO with standard key.

#3 User is offline   M__R 

• Pip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostAlex, on 26 May 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Please send one of these files. We will check what is wrong.

I just tried to find them, but didn't succeed. All the .priPrinter files I tried to open work fine...
Probably I just removed them and 'printed' them again.
Perhaps my harddisk was full and the complete file couldn't be saved!?
Whatever: Next time such an error occurs I'll keep it and send it to you.

All images are embedded into priprinter file, so I can't see any problem here.

Happy to hear this.

BTW, Only watermarks may refer to external files.

Ok...

Also, you should make an attention to fonts, since by default priPrinter does not embed all of them.
There is an option. Control Panel -> Printers -> priPrinter -> Preferences -> Advanced tab.

Found it (Control Panel -> Printers -> priPrinter -> Printing Preferences... -> Settings tab: Embed all fonts).
Good to know: I suppose it is only necessary, if the .priPrinter-files are moved to another computer...

There is a combobox inside of priPrinter options, Advanced tab. In the bottom of the tab please locate: Save Warning. You can configure it in the way you want.

Oh.. Found the 'safety warnings'-option. Great!

Problem here that almost all documents are in priPrinter archive folder and only few persons may want to Save As into archive folder again...

Ah..
Perhaps it would be possible to implement my proposed behaviour if e.g. the SHIFT-key is pressed while the 'Save As...'-menu is choosen?
If this does happen, the original directory and file could be entered as default, so the user could modify the destination filename slightly and has a new file in the original directory...

It's possible to write a script in priPrinter Professional which will save file in any predefined folder with just one click on.
It's possible to use scripting in PRO with standard key.

Do I understand it right? When installing the pro-version I am allowed to do scripting with my standard-license?
That would be great!!

Thanks a lot,

M__R

#4 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostM__R, on 27 May 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

Do I understand it right? When installing the pro-version I am allowed to do scripting with my standard-license?

Yes, that's right. However I'm not fully sure that all required functionality related to saving is available in script. I'll ask to check and be back to you in a few days.

#5 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

See this example: www.priprinter.com/sample_commands.htm
It shows how to save file to any location. Also you can put save button to quick launch bar and execute your script.
Posted Image

You will need to download new version: www.priprinter.com/prerelease.htm

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users