Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic reflow of cropped pages

#1 User is offline   moongose 

• PipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

Is it possible to add a feature to automatically reflow the cropped boxes from many pages into same page? I think it is very useful feature, for both organizing printouts and saving paper. The program just needs to reposition cropping rectangles one under another until page gets filled, and than continue to another page. Currently this is possible to be done manually, but for many pages becomes cumbersome and tedious.
See attached screenshot if it makes it more clear.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Aron 

• priPrinter Support
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi moongose,

Nice feature, will see what we can do.

#3 User is offline   moongose 

• PipPip

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hi Aron.
Any news on this feature?
I saw beta 4 is out, but it is not there yet...
Is it planned?

#4 User is offline   BJosephs 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Any news on this feature? I'm using 5.0.3.1452 and the closest I've come is by joining and shrinking the pages. That's great if they all fit on one page, but how does one deal with multiple pages? Can the combined/shrinked pages then be split again?

#5 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostBJosephs, on 15 October 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

Any news on this feature? I'm using 5.0.3.1452 and the closest I've come is by joining and shrinking the pages. That's great if they all fit on one page, but how does one deal with multiple pages? Can the combined/shrinked pages then be split again?

There are no news here yet, sorry.
However, almost everything is already implemented and "Reflow" command can be added quite easy. May be in a few weeks....
If you can share your sample files with us, it will be great. Real data can help to better understand how it should work.

#6 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Version with this feature is available in our beta area. Suggestions are welcome.

#7 User is offline   moongose 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostAlex, on 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Version with this feature is available in our beta area. Suggestions are welcome.

As I've understand this feature, it works by extracting all the white space and re-flowing the content on that space. That works excellent.

What I don't like is that the crop/cut operations are not counted in. What counts is the rectangular selection tool and cut within/outside selection. But that is tedious to do on more pages where the same area should be cut/omitted, especially that rectangular selection doesn't work on more pages simultaneously, like crop/cut does. Also i see this (rect. selection) as redundant feature and less powerful than crop, once erased content cannot be brought back, like cut does.

Imagine following everyday scenario. Plenty of pages to print, every page consist of header, title, few lines of text, large portion of empty space, footer. I only need to keep title and text and re-flow only this. With crop/cut tool it is done once in one move. This way it should be done for each page separately.

I hope it is not difficult to implement this and that I didn't understand the workflow wrong :)

#8 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Actually that is just a proof of concept. I'm happy that it works on your side :)
However, I do understand that problems are possible, especially with crop.

Can you please send sample .priPrinter file? I think it can be done, but it is hard to imagine how it should be. Sample file will help a lot.

#9 User is offline   moongose 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostAlex, on 16 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Actually that is just a proof of concept. I'm happy that it works on your side :)
However, I do understand that problems are possible, especially with crop.

Can you please send sample .priPrinter file? I think it can be done, but it is hard to imagine how it should be. Sample file will help a lot.

Sure. Attached find the example. I did it in as example in word, because of confidentiality of data in original documents, but it very much resembles the everyday situation, which actually involves much more pages, than those 6 in example.

So, if it is possible to cut the areas not to be printed, or just crop the area that needs to be printed, and on this area to apply the reflow command.

Also if some optional (customizable) break can be added between pages, than would be great. You already have implemented this mechanism in the insert text option (size, font, macros etc), so it just needs to be applicable to reflow. Also please consider adding an icon somewhere on the ribbon for reflow, rightclicking in the thumbnails panel is cumbersome and not obvious.

I hope that you will not find my suggestions annoying, I'm just want to make this great feature even better.

Attached File(s)

#10 User is offline   Alex 

• Administrator
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for file.
However, it already works in the right way. At least I think so.
See image:
Attached File  reflow.jpg (116.11K)
Number of downloads: 8
I removed headers and footer with crop tab, after that run Re-Flow command. As you can see only text between header and footer was processed.
Now you can print it and you'll have only that text, or you can go back to crop tab and remove cropping. Headers and footers will be restored.
In any case it will be two pages only.

Do you want to remove cropped areas (headers and footers in your case)during re-flow command?
If yes, then it is possible to remove them manually and run re-flow again. It will be one page. BTW, it will be possible to include this into re-flow, but it should be a option.

What do you think?

Re-flow can be inserted into quick launch bar. It will work with selected pages or all pages.

Thanks,
Alex

#11 User is offline   moongose 

• PipPip

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostAlex, on 17 November 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Thank you for file.
However, it already works in the right way. At least I think so.
See image:
Attachment reflow.jpg
I removed headers and footer with crop tab, after that run Re-Flow command. As you can see only text between header and footer was processed.
Now you can print it and you'll have only that text, or you can go back to crop tab and remove cropping. Headers and footers will be restored.
In any case it will be two pages only.

I made the crop, so the area excluded the header and footer and then applied reflow. I got this:
Attachment clipboard19.11.2012 _ 10_25_40_1.png
You can see that reflow is done, but headers and footers are present.

But i noticed that different results, depending which tab is active. First case was when crop tab was active on the ribbon. I think that it shouldn't matter which tab is active, please reconsider this behaviour.

Then I startover and repeat everything, but just changed the tab to PageLayout on ribbon, before reflow. This is the result
Attachment clipboard19.11.2012 _ 10_26_40.jpg
Now headers and footers removed, but I got three pages, and it is obvious that there is enough room for the second page to be together with first. Not the result I expected.

On the contrary, your result is the closest to that i expected, so we must do something different. (I got this result, only by manually erasing with rectangular selection, on each page separately.

View PostAlex, on 17 November 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

Do you want to remove cropped areas (headers and footers in your case)during re-flow command?
If yes, then it is possible to remove them manually and run re-flow again. It will be one page. BTW, it will be possible to include this into re-flow, but it should be a option.

I don't quite understand what are you suggesting here... I definitely want cropped areas removed, that's why I'm cropping them in first place

p.s. i got some size limit warning of the attachments, so couldn't upload at full size, sorry if they are not clear enough.

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users